Fire Safety in the Winter Months
Decorating homes and businesses for the holidays, as well as keeping properties heated can cause devastating damage.
Property owners can turn to BluSky when fire strikes. Follow these tips and guidelines for home and workplace fire safety.
During the Holidays:
– Use outside lights outside, and inside lights inside
– Plug lights directly into an outlet and avoid extension cords
– Throw away light strands with damaged wires
– Turn off or unplug decorations when you’re not in the building
– If you have a Christmas tree, keep it watered, and discard it when it gets dry
Using Heat and Flames:
– Be mindful of space heater placement, and do not set items on top of heaters
– Grills should be placed at least 10 feet from buildings during and after use
– Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace
– Inspect dryer vents and clean your lint filter after each use
– Consider using battery-operated, flameless candles
Fire Safety Preparation and Maintenance:
– Fire alarm and sprinkler systems should be tested annually by a licensed technician
– Ensure proper working order of backup batteries in illuminated exit signs
– Install outlets in areas where extension cords have become a permanent need
– Keep fire extinguishers charged, inspected, and classified for each area of your building
– Discolored wall outlets, blown fuses, and flickering lights are signs of faulty and dangerous wiring
Things to Remember:
– A closed door can isolate a fire’s flow, reduce room temperature, and keep CO2 levels down
– Stuffing wet towels or sheets around doors or vents will help keep smoke out during an emergency
– Do not throw water on a grease fire; instead, cover the flames with a metal lid or baking sheet
– Store important documents and keepsakes in a fire-proof safe
BluSky is available 24/7/365 if you suffer fire, smoke or odor damage.
About BluSky Restoration Contractors, LLC
BluSky Restoration Contractors, LLC is a full-service national restoration contractor with locations coast to coast. We provide residential, commercial, industrial, governmental, and multifamily mitigation, restoration, renovation, environmental, and roofing services for properties damaged by water, fire, storms, and other disasters across the country. Our engaged employees bring experience and teamwork to anyone who owns or manages the property, provides property insurance, or manages property insurance claims. Our team provides unparalleled, customer-centric service through empathy, professionalism, communication, and innovation. For more information about BluSky Restoration Contractors, please visit GoBluSky.com or call (800) 266-5677.